Skip to main content

A Human Life: Summary

January 29, 1950 Christopher Rory Hoops was born. He grew up in Southern California with four siblings and two loving parents. He was surrounded by love, books, music, and exotic plants from his father’s garden.

In his teens, Chris met the world. His good and bad relationships ultimately lead to a conversion to the Christian faith, returning him to the Lutheran and Catholic roots of his parents, seeking solace and comfort in Jesus Christ.

In his late teens, he studied constantly, absorbing as much wisdom as he could from his mentors, pastors, teachers, and parents. His late twenties we full of adventures, teaching full time, and leading many ministries while attending college.

When he was twenty-seven, he married a woman who would become the foundation of his home, the greatest gift God would bestow upon him, Gail Melinda Turner. When he was twenty-nine, his first child, Erin Christine, was born. And his second and third, Christopher Rory, Jr., and Michael Charles, were given to him when he was thirty-two and thirty-nine.

The day Michael was born, Chris was diagnosed with an undefined strand of Hepatitis and, a couple years later, it was named Hepatitis, type C. He was informed that his life must slow down and he needed to find a quiet place to live out the few years he had left. In 1991, Chris left the congregation he founded and pastured since 1980, and moved his family to the northeast corner of Washington State.

Washington had many trials for him. He lost his health and many friends, but the most profound loss was his daughter and firstborn, Erin, at age sixteen. Chris was able to receive a new liver, which blessed him with years of borrowed time. These fourteen years let him run his own book store, raise impressive gardens year after year, run a small farm, adopt three loving daughters, teach –which was his passion–, see Michael graduate high school, and Christopher’s wedding and college graduation.

Late 2001, Chris moved his family back to California, taking a teaching job for a year. A controversy over him using the Godfather Trilogy in Bible class and clear signs of his health failing lead him to a decision to move from Santa Cruz to Roseville, leaving the teaching job.

Late 2005, Chris’ health steadily declined and by late 2006, trips to the hospital became routine, scares about his passing were frequent. In winter of 2007, Chris’ health plateaued; by March of 2008 news about his kidneys subsequently removed him from the transplant list. The end was eminent.

Many people were able to visit him, and he was happy to receive their company. They talked about faith, politics, and life in general. He cried with some and laughed with many. Late June was when death’s shadow overtook him with discomfort, pain, and a helpless, nightly yearning to be with the Lord. Around 2:45 on July 17, a Thursday, Chris gave up his spirit, breathing his last with his wife by his side. He left behind a faithful, loving widow, children and siblings who love him, and countless friends who honor his memory.

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow. Your dad was a cool dude. Where in Santa Cruz did he teach?

Popular posts from this blog

Bye Bye Mr. Stinky

I was a special education teacher. Matter of fact, I taught Special Education for four-and-a-half years. I taught some non-verbal kiddos how to read, increased the diversity in their diets, taught them games and social skills, and–what I am most proud of–I helped kids out of diapers, who were well past the time to meet that milestone… And let me tell you, that is not always an easy task. It is always a rewarding task. Find the carrot By carrot, I mean the motivation for doing something that is not preferred; for example, if you want to buy a beer, but you have no money, you might help a friend move. Moving is a total garbage activity, but he may pay you and buy you beer; if you know how to negotiate, you will get an unhealthy amount of pizza too. BAM! You had no money; now you have pizza, beer, and money, because you leveraged your time and effort. Potty training is no different. The kiddos usually don't know how to leverage their time and resources to get what t...


Café Finesse

A "gentleman's drink," "hood," whatever you want to call it, is a meticulous matrimony of espresso and steamed milk, knit together to become what is commonly known as a cappuccino. The cappuccino stands as one of the most misunderstood experiences available almost nowhere but offered everywhere. I cannot count the times I have ordered a cappuccino only to receive a mound of foam with abandoned espresso lamenting its extraction on the bottom. It is the wet kitten of coffee. The cappuccino is more than just espresso and milk. It is not only espresso and foam either. The ceremonial blending of the elements is as tender and sensitive and romantic as a first kiss. The cappuccino is not a coffee drink, it is the coffee drink. It is not espresso but a perfection of it. Ordering a cappuccino "to go," as they say expecting a paper cup, is somewhat of a culinary indiscretion, but carelessly serving steamed milk, foam and espresso is a barefaced disregard fo...

Unnamed

I have never been told to hate the junkie on the street To judge her value by her smell or filth or bare feet. And if I could choose whether she should live or die, The choice is clear, I would choose life. As for the bigot full of malice and anger I still have not been told to hate him either. And if I could choose whether he should live or die, The choice is clear; for him, I choose life. Being so young, I have not been told to be enraged At the killer living in his cage. Though the jury, judge, and law think he should die, The choice is clear; for him, I choose life. And the mother who chooses: “a baby is too much” For her reputation, comfort, career, and such. Or the Doctor helping her deal with the strife, I still don’t hate either; for them, I choose life. Or preachers and politicians condemning all of the above I don’t know how to hate them, my first instinct is love. He shouts and distorts each circumstance, saying they deserve to disappear, be locked aw...