Skip to main content

Unnamed

I have never been told to hate the junkie on the street
To judge her value by her smell or filth or bare feet.
And if I could choose whether she should live or die,
The choice is clear, I would choose life.

As for the bigot full of malice and anger
I still have not been told to hate him either.
And if I could choose whether he should live or die,
The choice is clear; for him, I choose life.

Being so young, I have not been told to be enraged
At the killer living in his cage.
Though the jury, judge, and law think he should die,
The choice is clear; for him, I choose life.

And the mother who chooses: “a baby is too much”
For her reputation, comfort, career, and such.
Or the Doctor helping her deal with the strife,
I still don’t hate either; for them, I choose life.

Or preachers and politicians condemning all of the above
I don’t know how to hate them, my first instinct is love.
He shouts and distorts each circumstance, saying they deserve to disappear, be locked away, or die.
But if it were my choice, I would choose life.

The truth is, I hate no one, I’m too young and new.
I’ve not been told to hate, I wouldn’t know what to do.
I’m an unborn child with a head, heart, fingers, and veins
I can kick, I can fumble, I can play and sleep.
And with my ears, I can hear my mother weep
When the doctor says “You’ll be alright; no one, today, will be dying!”
It doesn’t help, 'cause she keeps crying.
It starts. I see light. I can feel the knife!
At this point, I may be the only one; but for me, I choose life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog


Café Finesse

A "gentleman's drink," "hood," whatever you want to call it, is a meticulous matrimony of espresso and steamed milk, knit together to become what is commonly known as a cappuccino. The cappuccino stands as one of the most misunderstood experiences available almost nowhere but offered everywhere. I cannot count the times I have ordered a cappuccino only to receive a mound of foam with abandoned espresso lamenting its extraction on the bottom. It is the wet kitten of coffee. The cappuccino is more than just espresso and milk. It is not only espresso and foam either. The ceremonial blending of the elements is as tender and sensitive and romantic as a first kiss. The cappuccino is not a coffee drink, it is the coffee drink. It is not espresso but a perfection of it. Ordering a cappuccino "to go," as they say expecting a paper cup, is somewhat of a culinary indiscretion, but carelessly serving steamed milk, foam and espresso is a barefaced disregard fo...

On Immunization and Freedom

Health and freedom seem to be the ultimate end of any function of the government. Without life and good health, how can we be free, seek happiness or raise a family. Thus, the ultimate and deepest implications of immunization are societal as well as scientific. Small Pocks, HPV, German Measles, all take their toll on society because they are so contagious; their significant danger is the purpose for immunization and litigating a requirement for them may be a safe and easy way to end the curse of many preventable diseases. The controversy does not center on whether they work or not. Vaccination works. The odd increase in disabilities and ailments over the last 100 years is what causes so much tumult, in the public square, at the mention of vaccines. ADD, auto-immune, and neurological disorders have been on a steady rise as the commonplace usage of vaccines have risen. Many nations who do not have common vaccines have other problems, however; they deal with measles and whooping ...

My Heart Bleeds

I am not a scientist or philosopher. I have not exhausted the depths of scientific discovery or waded into the philosophical postulations of all the “why”s and “how”s of existence and nature and purpose. Nor am I an artist –not in any traditional sense– but I do have a sense of what is communicated in arte. Even bad arta; an expression of one’s self, being, perception, and experience. One of my favorite artists is Bob Dylan. He confuses me and I have discovered why confusion is admirable. He doesn't communicate an answer or direct interpretation of life; but rather, the confusion we all feel about war and love, beauty and pain. Dylan, in many ways, combined a strange string of sounds and words that give a substantive realization to the pain that nurtures the human heart. Beauty is not found in an evasion of life, but rather an embrace of it. Recently, I had been given a bit more struggle than I cared to accept; but, as I was denied any control over my life and accepted th...