Skip to main content

Unnamed

I have never been told to hate the junkie on the street
To judge her value by her smell or filth or bare feet.
And if I could choose whether she should live or die,
The choice is clear, I would choose life.

As for the bigot full of malice and anger
I still have not been told to hate him either.
And if I could choose whether he should live or die,
The choice is clear; for him, I choose life.

Being so young, I have not been told to be enraged
At the killer living in his cage.
Though the jury, judge, and law think he should die,
The choice is clear; for him, I choose life.

And the mother who chooses: “a baby is too much”
For her reputation, comfort, career, and such.
Or the Doctor helping her deal with the strife,
I still don’t hate either; for them, I choose life.

Or preachers and politicians condemning all of the above
I don’t know how to hate them, my first instinct is love.
He shouts and distorts each circumstance, saying they deserve to disappear, be locked away, or die.
But if it were my choice, I would choose life.

The truth is, I hate no one, I’m too young and new.
I’ve not been told to hate, I wouldn’t know what to do.
I’m an unborn child with a head, heart, fingers, and veins
I can kick, I can fumble, I can play and sleep.
And with my ears, I can hear my mother weep
When the doctor says “You’ll be alright; no one, today, will be dying!”
It doesn’t help, 'cause she keeps crying.
It starts. I see light. I can feel the knife!
At this point, I may be the only one; but for me, I choose life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dark Horse of the Apocalypse

Here I am, my second blog entry. What I have to say, I am not sure, I have so much to say but nothing to talk about. I watched I Am Legend the other day; in spite of video-game type CGI, the film was pretty decent. I cannot say it was memorable, as far as an apocalyptic film goes, it rose just above mediocre. Children of Men is far more entertaining, deep, and plot driven. If one were to spend two hours, the latter would be better time spent, especially considering the production quality. Speaking of the apocalypse, the presidential race is heating up quickly. Apparently, Mike Huckabee has something to offer as a presidential candidate. I did not know the GOP is so interested in perpetuating the Bush foreign policy that they are willing to support a pseudo-clone of the current commander-in-chief our nation so dearly admires. Ron Paul receives little-to-no attention from the media compared to other candidates but he has the money and grass roots attention (including a priva

A New Virtue

There is a pseudo-virtue that I cannot help but see as necessary to make it through a successful workday. I don’t know what to call it except a collective mindset . Many tasks at any job can be done by one person but they are often time consuming and messy. If another person steps in the job runs smoother; we know this ad idiom, "two heads are better than one." The ethic is not complicated but it contradicts a very American sentiment, individualism. Where I work, if one person fails to do something, everyone fails. If one person succeeds, likewise, everyone succeeds. Though not commonly perceived, such is life outside of work. Independent of whether the society adapts the collective mindset , any single individual can have one making society a better place. I cannot consider this pseudo-ethic as a sane dictum of governance, I am a libertarian after all; though it would undoubtedly be pleasantly enculturated if each person took it upon him or herself to look after ea

On Immunization and Freedom

Health and freedom seem to be the ultimate end of any function of the government. Without life and good health, how can we be free, seek happiness or raise a family. Thus, the ultimate and deepest implications of immunization are societal as well as scientific. Small Pocks, HPV, German Measles, all take their toll on society because they are so contagious; their significant danger is the purpose for immunization and litigating a requirement for them may be a safe and easy way to end the curse of many preventable diseases. The controversy does not center on whether they work or not. Vaccination works. The odd increase in disabilities and ailments over the last 100 years is what causes so much tumult, in the public square, at the mention of vaccines. ADD, auto-immune, and neurological disorders have been on a steady rise as the commonplace usage of vaccines have risen. Many nations who do not have common vaccines have other problems, however; they deal with measles and whooping