Skip to main content

What matters in online dialogue about religion?

As an Eastern Orthodox Christian, I can't claim I know each person's destiny. Many christians (protestants mainly) would claim they do know this because they have particularly keen insight into what the Bible says or the hearts of their fellow man.
Humans have such a short amount of time to understand the experience they are having on this earth; I believe (and this is me here, not any sect or church) that an atheist may believe in God if said atheist were to meet God. And, if said atheist was not always introduced to a God who's followers killed members of other faiths, burned books, pissed on corpses, insulted homosexuals, or violated the religious sensibilities others. Because of this, God would not reject or judge said atheist, but rather, reward the person for having a heart toward truth and kindness: the source of which is the creator of all things! perhaps the atheist is reserving his heart for Christ, remaining chaste, but the people presenting Jesus to him have done it wrongly. He dies godless, but not without God.

After saying that, I must make it clear that, in my experience, many rude and vivaciously obtuse fellows I have met have been atheists. It is so easy to be rude and turn into a psycho-bipolar judgmental ass while online. Look at ANY video on youtube and see how people turn into animals, cutting each other down. These folks are usually arrogant, closed-minded, and deliberately offensive; but, they come from all back grounds.
Look back on the posts in the "I Am Awake" forum on Facebook and tell me that much of what is said is not founded on personal research or actual deliberation of facts and persons, but rather arrogance and a desire to be offensive to people you do not understand. Or people you feel are wrong.

Saint John Maximovitch
What difference does it make if you are wronger by being a dick to them? If you are an atheist, isn't there some sort of compass telling you that being a shit-head to someone is wrong and has a lasting reverb into the world, affecting the world with your words? You don't need to believe in God to know that is true. You certainly don't need to believe in God to know that being kind to others makes the world a better place for everyone. Jesus said: "love one another as I have love you, for if you do this, the world will know you are my disciples." This is the sweetness of Christianity I can never let go of, it has brought me to my knees and tears countless times. I regret that Christians are not always on track. I also know it is very hard to be like Jesus.

"It matters little if you were right or wrong; but rather, were you kind." Saint John Maximovitch


"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." St. Philo of Alexandria (not Plato)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dark Horse of the Apocalypse

Here I am, my second blog entry. What I have to say, I am not sure, I have so much to say but nothing to talk about. I watched I Am Legend the other day; in spite of video-game type CGI, the film was pretty decent. I cannot say it was memorable, as far as an apocalyptic film goes, it rose just above mediocre. Children of Men is far more entertaining, deep, and plot driven. If one were to spend two hours, the latter would be better time spent, especially considering the production quality. Speaking of the apocalypse, the presidential race is heating up quickly. Apparently, Mike Huckabee has something to offer as a presidential candidate. I did not know the GOP is so interested in perpetuating the Bush foreign policy that they are willing to support a pseudo-clone of the current commander-in-chief our nation so dearly admires. Ron Paul receives little-to-no attention from the media compared to other candidates but he has the money and grass roots attention (including a priva

A New Virtue

There is a pseudo-virtue that I cannot help but see as necessary to make it through a successful workday. I don’t know what to call it except a collective mindset . Many tasks at any job can be done by one person but they are often time consuming and messy. If another person steps in the job runs smoother; we know this ad idiom, "two heads are better than one." The ethic is not complicated but it contradicts a very American sentiment, individualism. Where I work, if one person fails to do something, everyone fails. If one person succeeds, likewise, everyone succeeds. Though not commonly perceived, such is life outside of work. Independent of whether the society adapts the collective mindset , any single individual can have one making society a better place. I cannot consider this pseudo-ethic as a sane dictum of governance, I am a libertarian after all; though it would undoubtedly be pleasantly enculturated if each person took it upon him or herself to look after ea

My Heart Bleeds

I am not a scientist or philosopher. I have not exhausted the depths of scientific discovery or waded into the philosophical postulations of all the “why”s and “how”s of existence and nature and purpose. Nor am I an artist –not in any traditional sense– but I do have a sense of what is communicated in arte. Even bad arta; an expression of one’s self, being, perception, and experience. One of my favorite artists is Bob Dylan. He confuses me and I have discovered why confusion is admirable. He doesn't communicate an answer or direct interpretation of life; but rather, the confusion we all feel about war and love, beauty and pain. Dylan, in many ways, combined a strange string of sounds and words that give a substantive realization to the pain that nurtures the human heart. Beauty is not found in an evasion of life, but rather an embrace of it. Recently, I had been given a bit more struggle than I cared to accept; but, as I was denied any control over my life and accepted th