Skip to main content

Mike "FairTax" Huckabee

All of us will get a monthly rebate that will reimburse us for taxes on purchases up to the poverty line, so that we're not taxed on necessities. That means people below the poverty line won't be taxed at all. We'll be taxed on what we decide to buy, not what we happen to earn. We won't be taxed on what we choose to save or the interest those savings earn. The tax will apply only to new goods, so we can reduce our taxes further by buying a used car or computer.

This segment is from Mike Huckabee’s campaign website, a portion of his “FairTax” tax reform plan. I read this surprised and impress. It seems like a more than reasonable attempt to revert to a constitutional taxation process. Excise taxes, or what is commonly called consumption tax, is what the constitution outlines as a fair way to tax. Only the earnings one spends is taxed says the founders.

I read it again, “All of us will get a monthly rebate.” At this point I was inevitably forced to squirm with a joyful disbelief. It must be a dream, one of the most electable Republican candidates, a favorite of conservatives nation-wide, wants to give me money. Hell, I was almost convinced to cast a Huckabee vote just then!

For fun I read it again and saw this, “All of us will get a monthly rebate that will reimburse us for taxes on purchases up to the poverty line, so that we're not taxed on necessities.”

That's great! It's like one of those half awake/half asleep post martini consumption dreams, something more real then fake, like a Salvador Dali painting inspired by jazz; I was almost inspired to dance… almost.

Then the big wave of disappointment hit me, something I have not felt since I became aware of my social security number; the government will have to know a lot about me to give me this money. I like getting money. I also like my privacy . How will they know what I buy in order to give me a rebate? This sounds more like a give/take scenario where the taking is bigger than the giving. Let me explain.

I will get some money back. Probably not enough to matter, but the government will know what groceries I buy, what electronics I need for school, where I purchase underwear (how often) and then pay me diddles for the control gained through knowledge. This sounds like a tax plan complimentary to the Real ID Act. It will not just lure but pay us to accept it, to love it, to smile with a giggle behind our teeth waiting for the next tax season.


Real ID Hits the News

The simple but sad truth is this, if we have the Real ID accompanied by the FairTax, the government will always know -because they have some pretty kick-ass databases- how much money we have, where we are, what we buy and who we buy it with. This encroachment on personal privacy is an extreme abuse of power. For this reason (though, not this reason alone), I cannot vote for Governor Mike Huckabee.

Ron Paul on the Real ID

If you are not convinced about what constitutional taxation really is, if you think your income should be dibbed up to the government then you need to watch this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog


Café Finesse

A "gentleman's drink," "hood," whatever you want to call it, is a meticulous matrimony of espresso and steamed milk, knit together to become what is commonly known as a cappuccino. The cappuccino stands as one of the most misunderstood experiences available almost nowhere but offered everywhere. I cannot count the times I have ordered a cappuccino only to receive a mound of foam with abandoned espresso lamenting its extraction on the bottom. It is the wet kitten of coffee. The cappuccino is more than just espresso and milk. It is not only espresso and foam either. The ceremonial blending of the elements is as tender and sensitive and romantic as a first kiss. The cappuccino is not a coffee drink, it is the coffee drink. It is not espresso but a perfection of it. Ordering a cappuccino "to go," as they say expecting a paper cup, is somewhat of a culinary indiscretion, but carelessly serving steamed milk, foam and espresso is a barefaced disregard fo...

On Immunization and Freedom

Health and freedom seem to be the ultimate end of any function of the government. Without life and good health, how can we be free, seek happiness or raise a family. Thus, the ultimate and deepest implications of immunization are societal as well as scientific. Small Pocks, HPV, German Measles, all take their toll on society because they are so contagious; their significant danger is the purpose for immunization and litigating a requirement for them may be a safe and easy way to end the curse of many preventable diseases. The controversy does not center on whether they work or not. Vaccination works. The odd increase in disabilities and ailments over the last 100 years is what causes so much tumult, in the public square, at the mention of vaccines. ADD, auto-immune, and neurological disorders have been on a steady rise as the commonplace usage of vaccines have risen. Many nations who do not have common vaccines have other problems, however; they deal with measles and whooping ...

My Heart Bleeds

I am not a scientist or philosopher. I have not exhausted the depths of scientific discovery or waded into the philosophical postulations of all the “why”s and “how”s of existence and nature and purpose. Nor am I an artist –not in any traditional sense– but I do have a sense of what is communicated in arte. Even bad arta; an expression of one’s self, being, perception, and experience. One of my favorite artists is Bob Dylan. He confuses me and I have discovered why confusion is admirable. He doesn't communicate an answer or direct interpretation of life; but rather, the confusion we all feel about war and love, beauty and pain. Dylan, in many ways, combined a strange string of sounds and words that give a substantive realization to the pain that nurtures the human heart. Beauty is not found in an evasion of life, but rather an embrace of it. Recently, I had been given a bit more struggle than I cared to accept; but, as I was denied any control over my life and accepted th...